Thursday, January 24, 2008

What's fer' dinner?

My cooking, I will admit, can be dangerously funny, as well as educating!

My first cooking attempt was when I was 12. I made brick biscuits more then once. Dad said they were so hard, they could be used as lethal weapons to drop on enemies. I learned there is a difference between baking soda and baking powder.


When I was 18, I once made brownies that contained a broken kitchen-aid piece in them (it fell in unknowingly to me!) and served them to a dear friend! She bit on the brownie nearly broke her tooth (okay, that's a lil exagerated...)...I learned the value of true friendship (Thanks, Angela, for still eating my cooking!)


When I 19, I once didn't wash the lettuce I cut from the garden good enuf and as we ate our taco salad, I picked up on my fork an interesting lookin'....leaf?....worm!!!!!!!! We all lost our appetites and I learned to take my time with washing lettuce.


When I was 20, I left the kitchen-aid on 10 (I like to run things to their fullest capacity...the sewing machine included....that is one reason why I have yet to learn to drive ;)...anyway I left the kitchen aid on 10 and went out the door to grab the laundry off the line thinking I could be faster then the mixer....when I came back in, mom and Jon had come down the stairs at break neck speed and were wondering if I was okay...."Yah' I am ok....why?".....in the floor lay the kitchen-aid...it had wobbled off the counter and crashed! :) Thankfully, it was fine (just left a cut in the vinyl floor) and my bread dough was unharmed! :) My lesson was to make sure when I run the kitchen aid on HIGH it's on a level surface!

I use to hate to cook. I think it was due to all my bad experiences of plundering recipes. Mom forced me to learn to love it! (Thank you mom!) 2 years ago, mom said I needed tweaking in the cooking department....Mom just told me tonight, now your ready for marriage....all you need to know now is to learn how to play the piano better....then you will be accomplished. I got this feeling though....once I get the piano down (I am thinking I will get it down this month! ;) hehe...she will come up with another task I need to tackle....hehe I know her sneaky ways (she is sitting beside me as I type this grinning ear to ear....that confirms it! ;)

Okay, tonight I made some lentil burgers! I call them Make-do Burgers as I lacked ingredients, so I came up with my own. You can substitute too and add on to my recipe or change it if your family isn't fond of certain things! That is the fun thing about cookin'!


Make-Do Burgers

Make-do Burger served with broccoli and not so healthy fries!

2 cups dried lentils
8 cups of water
2 cups of finely crushed natural crackers
1 large onion tinsily diced
4 heaping TBSP of horseradish
3 cloves of garlic minced
3/4 TBSP soy sauce
4 TBSP Mustard

Cook lentils in water 40 minutes (or until soft) on low/med. Drain and then add rest of ingredients. NOW comes the fun part....squish (with your clean hands) the lentils and other goodies and make sure everything combines! This would be a fun thing for younger children (with clean hands) to help with! ;) IF time allows, stick in fridge so it isn't so wiggly. Put butter in a skillet and using an icecream scoop, scoop mixture and plop in pan (then using the back of scooper shape into a patty). Fry on each side 10 minutes. The burgers harden as they cool (they are a lil' smooshy, but the taste is better then any veggie burger u buy in the store and cheaper too!)


Note: My dad and Justin (brother) ate 2 each and liked um'!


Sandwich Buns

2 cups hot water
4 1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBSP salt
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. milk
1 cup wheat bran
3-5 c. unbleached white flour

Prepare like normally like you do bread, except shape into patty size rolls and let rise 45-1hour in warm place. Bake 375* for 15-20 min.

No comments: